Tag Archives: work update

Weekly update – 3/14

This week was quite a busy week at work – the code I have been working on for the past 2-3 months went live and I was busy in preparing for the release, smoke-testing, fixing last minute bugs and making sure nothing is broken in production. The smoke-testing will go on for a couple of more days before the code is fully rolled out. It was quite an interesting few months of work and a great way to begin this year!

My contributions involved:

  1. migrating 3 business rule engine policies(related to managing seller risk) from an old platform to a new platform.
  2. updating the new platform to process these policies (adding new datapoints and code to handle what to do with the outcomes of policies)
  3. and some clever maneuvering(at least, I think so 🙂 ) in a legacy codebase so that sellers can be seamlessly made to go through the new platform instead of the old platform.

As a result, I had little time to read “The Count of Monte Cristo” during the weekdays. I’m kind of in the middle of this 1400 page book and I hate to not finish a book after picking it up. However, I made good progress with “Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki” – the other book I have been reading. I think I’ll probably finish the book sometime in the middle of the next week unless it gets too crazy at work.

Interesting reads from this week:

  1. Peter Norvig, the director of research at Google on making errors:  Link
  2. The usual H1B visa discussion you see on hackernews every couple of months – Link – the anti-H1B sentiment on hacker news is nothing new, but I can’t deny that I learn new information/perspective every time one of these threads crop up.
  3. StackOverflow’s developer survey – Link . I’ll save you click – 2015 has essentially beenAnd, referrals continue to be the number one means of getting jobs(Link) – one thing I really wish changes.
  4. Make your own bubble in ten easy steps – Link
  5. turkeypants comments on What phase are you going through on reddit – Link

I also made some progress with my side project with Apache Nutch but not too far – setting it up turned out to be more difficult than I expected. I got Nutch to fetch and parse web pages, but I’m still having issues with storing the index on elastic search. It is probably a couple of hours of work –  I need to spend some time reading the docs to figure out what I’m doing wrong. I’m hoping to work on it again next weekend.