This week was quite a busy week at work – the code I have been working on for the past 2-3 months went live and I was busy in preparing for the release, smoke-testing, fixing last minute bugs and making sure nothing is broken in production. The smoke-testing will go on for a couple of more days before the code is fully rolled out. It was quite an interesting few months of work and a great way to begin this year!
My contributions involved:
- migrating 3 business rule engine policies(related to managing seller risk) from an old platform to a new platform.
- updating the new platform to process these policies (adding new datapoints and code to handle what to do with the outcomes of policies)
- and some clever maneuvering(at least, I think so 🙂 ) in a legacy codebase so that sellers can be seamlessly made to go through the new platform instead of the old platform.
As a result, I had little time to read “The Count of Monte Cristo” during the weekdays. I’m kind of in the middle of this 1400 page book and I hate to not finish a book after picking it up. However, I made good progress with “Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki” – the other book I have been reading. I think I’ll probably finish the book sometime in the middle of the next week unless it gets too crazy at work.
Interesting reads from this week:
- Peter Norvig, the director of research at Google on making errors: Link
- The usual H1B visa discussion you see on hackernews every couple of months – Link – the anti-H1B sentiment on hacker news is nothing new, but I can’t deny that I learn new information/perspective every time one of these threads crop up.
- StackOverflow’s developer survey – Link . I’ll save you click – 2015 has essentially beenAnd, referrals continue to be the number one means of getting jobs(Link) – one thing I really wish changes.
- Make your own bubble in ten easy steps – Link
- turkeypants comments on What phase are you going through on reddit – Link
I also made some progress with my side project with Apache Nutch but not too far – setting it up turned out to be more difficult than I expected. I got Nutch to fetch and parse web pages, but I’m still having issues with storing the index on elastic search. It is probably a couple of hours of work – I need to spend some time reading the docs to figure out what I’m doing wrong. I’m hoping to work on it again next weekend.